When it comes to pursuing a career in the oil and gas industry, safety is generally the number one concern among young people and their parents. Although tough working conditions and hard labour are important parts of many jobs in the oil and gas industry, Enform is committed to ensuring a safe work environment for all industry professionals.
“We are working to continuously improve the safety performance of the upstream sector and strengthen the culture of safety for our workforce. Enform is working on behalf of the entire industry to ensure everyone is going home safely, every day,” says Cameron McGillivray, the president and CEO of Enform Canada.
Enform has been given the official title of “Safety Association for the Upstream Oil and Gas Industry in Canada.” The organization is dedicated to improving safety performance for the oil and gas industry, while providing customized training programs for industry professionals. Moreover, Enform helps to education oil companies on how to develop and reach their safety goals. Additionally, Enform supports the industry by sharing best practices and highlighting oil companies that have implemented effective health and safety management programs.
“Everything we do is dedicated to the continuous improvement of safety,” says Cameron. “By the very nature of our industry we are risk takers, but we know how to get the job done safely and without injury.”
Enform offers audit services to government agencies and partnering corporations to ensure provincial safety standards are met by all oil and gas companies in Canada. With the support of the following six oil and gas associations, Enform is also able to collect data used to track safety performance and monitor safety practices.
● Canadian Association of Geophysical Contractors (CAGC)
● Canadian Association of Oilwell Drilling Contractors (CAODC)
● Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP)
● Canadian Energy Pipeline Association (CEPA)
● Explorers and Producers Association of Canada (EPAC)
● Petroleum Services Association of Canada (PSAC)
Enform Offers Five Safety Programs
Out of 120 courses offered by Enform, these five safety programs receive the highest number of enrolments each year.
● H2S Alive(R): This one-day course is designed for workers who may be exposed to “sour gas” which is made of hydrogen sulfide. Students will also receive equipment training to ensure they are prepared for the workplace.
● Petroleum Safety Training (PST): This is an interactive computer-based program that uses video and audio lessons to teach workers about workplace safety.
● Well Service Blowout Prevention: This program is designed to provide safety training for oil rig operators, oil rig managers, production engineers, and supervisors of wellsites.
● General Oilfield Driver Improvement (GODI): This program teaches oilfield truck drivers about on-road and off-road safety as the goal is to reduce the number of driving-related accidents.
● Wildlife Awareness: This online course focuses on helping industry professionals understand the importance of co-existing safely with wildlife on and off the job site.
So how safe is it?
With the assistance and support of Enform, oil companies in Canada are working towards making the work of oil and gas industry professionals as safe as possible. Due to the numerous contributions made by Enform, the oil industry is quickly adopting a proactive culture of workplace health and safety.